Wednesday, October 5, 2011

DAY #1 - NOT QUITE ON TOP OF MY GAME YET.

This morning started with me finding my car keys in the door of my car out in the parking lot... Then as it turns out...I didn't follow the asst. director's instructions.. I got lost driving to the location and then I walked in all ready for the wrong scene..whoops, it wasn't the day of the flipping backhoe after all...





But in spite of senior moments galore times are still good... Check it out! I even get my very own A/C dressing room with a (napping) bunk, sink mirror and toity - WOW! - Boy was I surprised to see that.




My favorite part of the day of course was all the make up and wardrobe making a big fuss over me.. Us Leo's can never get enough of that! .. Turns out my part is more involved than I thought... There are twelve different outfits for me to wear...



Charlie's big brother Johnson and Curly in "make up".



Wilma getting gussied up.



Kristina & Curly


ACTION!



OH MAN...I didn't follow the asst. director's instructions.. Again.. Walked in all ready for the wrong scene.. I had to give em' their hoe back and just stand there looking happy while Charlie's brother "Johnson" hooked up a water pipe at Grandma's house..


But seriously, I have to say that my encounters and conversations with the Indian elders today have been extremely profound.

At lunch, the real Charlie Soap explained to me what Curly was really like.. "Curly was a quiet shade tree white mechanic who the Cherokees made fun of a lot as they overlooked his big heart and basic impulse to want to help others. His Cherokee girlfriend/wife(?) was blind and he took care of her.. Charlie said that Curly was on this project from the first to the last day when his services weren't asked for.. He kept everything running and was always helping others..He said that Curly started out as the most unimportant person on the project and the most important person at the end... I understand that he cried when the project was completed because he loved making friends and working together with the good people of Bell community so much..."

Moses Brings Plenty (Playing Charlie) likes my roll because he says- "For once the rolls are reversed where the white guy is the outcast and is finally embraced by the Indian community because of his many virtuous actions."

I can only hope to aspire to be like Curly (my new hero) and now realize why I am here on this set..I am extremely grateful for the lesson and gentle reminder of the powers that be..

So here I am - Trying on Curly, slowly but surely...



Virginia, the Cherokee language consultant helps Grandpa



Grandpa studies his lines as Charlie looks on.



The real Charlie Soap, Grandpa and Moses "Charlie"

A great day indeed. I feel incredibly fortunate because today I glimpsed through a cultural lens and saw, in plain daylight, a world that I can usually only find alone in total silence.

TOMORROW I REALLY DO DRIVE A BACKHOE- STARTING AT 6:30AM. Better go night night now.

XOB

2 comments:

  1. Congrats again, Ben! What an awesome learning experience both culturally and theatrically. Bring me along next time PLEASE!
    -Will

    ReplyDelete